The ocean is a vast and unpredictable place. It can be glass-like and inviting one moment, and tumultuous and dangerous the next. That’s why it’s best to approach seafaring voyages with a team. Whether it’s a band of scurvy pirates or a clan of mermaids far below the surface, the ocean is less frightening when you’re not alone.
The same can be said of writing. It, too, is an unpredictable space, fraught with adventures and setbacks. High, crashing waves one moment and low eddies dragging you into its depths the next. But spaces like Teen Author Boot Camp allow you to find life supports, crewmates, and navigational readings that keep you from having to go it alone. As the tidal waves inevitably hit, you’ll have a net to fall into. A group who understands what you’ve been though.
It’s been said that a rising tide lifts all ships—well, so too does each of us rise as we learn together and lift each other. So join the crew. Be part of our band of misfits, struggling to share our creativity and write the stories in our hearts. It’s a welcoming lot. Come one, come all, and join us on the high seas.
Band of Misfits: Adventures on the High Seas Anthology
In conjunction with Teen Author Bootcamp 2018, we’d love to see your high-seas short stories: gangs of pirates, steampunk sailors, mischievous mermaids, hostile Kraken, submerged vortexes, or any other maritime adventures you’d care to explore—whether contemporary, historical, science fiction, fantasy, or horror—hit us with your favorite nautical-themed tales, and join this misfit band of writers in our High Seas anthology, set to release in time for TABC 2018.
We can’t wait to read your stories, and we can’t wait to see you at the conference, where we can learn and grow together. After all, a rising tide lifts all ships.
- This is a Teen Anthology. Only writers between the ages of 13-19 will be considered.
- Preference will be given to attendees of the TABC annual conference.
- There is NO entry fee.
- Maximum word count is 7,500.
- All stories chosen for publication will receive $30, a custom TABC name badge to wear at the conference, and one free print copy of the anthology to be picked up at the pre-release party or the TABC conference, both located in Provo, UT.
- Stories should be new and NOT published elsewhere.
- Submissions will be accepted from October 1st-November 30th.
- All entrants will be notified of story status by December 31st.
- The anthology will be available for purchase at TABC 2108 in Provo, UT and at online retailers after the conference.
- If your story is chosen, you will receive a contract and additional details about edits, payment, and final due dates.
To submit a short story to be considered for the TABC 2018 anthology, please fill out this form. We look forward to hearing from you!
We are thrilled to partner with Teen Author Boot Camp, one of the nation’s largest writing conference specifically for teens, to create this anthology.